Go to the Oshkosh News home page Go to the Oshkosh Public Library web site Find out more about the Oshkosh League of Women Voters

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Dan Carpenter's Opening Statement

My name is Dan Carpenter. I am not a whiz-kid with all this new technology like the "blog" but I’ll do my best and please forgive my lack of technical prowess.

I am the Independent candidate for the 54th Assembly District. If you are familiar with the dilemma we face in Madison you understand clearly why I chose to run as an Independent.

Some have implied that being Independent indicates lack of cooperation with everyone. It is quite the contrary. During my thirty-four years of teaching I learned that it is important to communicate and build cooperation with all those with whom I’ve worked. I can help to rebuild Wisconsin with the cooperation of Green Party, Democrats, Republicans and Independents who will be elected.

While another candidate has questioned how an Independent can accomplish anything in Madison, I ask "What is being accomplished in Madison now?" Nothing! Democrats and Republicans, Representatives and Senators argue about meaningless legislation that does nothing but reward the special interest groups that have filled their pockets with campaign money.

We have neglected issues like health care, jobs, education and prison reform. "THE DOME IS BURNING" and our politicians, Democrat and Republican alike, are fiddling away our tax dollars rewarding an army of lobbyists at a level never seen before.

I am accepting no contributions for my campaign. I will owe no special interest groups or individuals. The only reason that I am running for the 54th Assembly District is that I strongly believe that there has to be a better direction for this great State and the incumbent Democrats and Republicans have failed miserably.

Anyone who has followed the career of U.S. Senator James Jeffords will understand my position. Members of the "main parties" are frightened by Independent candidates because we are the voice and the conscience of the people. Throughout this country more and more citizens are declaring themselves as Independent. The Republican and Democratic parties are becoming the minorities and they are terrified.

A vote for me, Dan Carpenter, is a vote for yourself, your family and your future!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home